An executive headshot is one of the most valuable assets to your personal brand. That’s why it’s important that your clothing reflects your personality, credibility, and who you are as a professional in your industry.
Solids work better than patterns
Keep it simple when it comes to the design and style of your clothing. Patterns and heavily textured items tend to distract from the main focus of the headshot, which is you, and that defeats the purpose.
For example, tight grid-like patterns can have a weird effect on the camera, but if you would like to incorporate a pattern, thin stripes usually work well. However, under no circumstances should your clothing have writing or a logo displayed on it.
Clothing tips for men:
- Avoid shiny, reflective materials, like silk ties
- Stay classy with a dark suit in navy or gray
- Try to land the color of your tie between the tones of your suit and dress shirt
- Bring a variety of outfits, suits and ties, and at least one business casual outfit
Clothing tips for women:
- Stay away from stark white, unless under a jacket, cardigan, or sweater
- Jewelry should add to an outfit, not detract from it
- Avoid short sleeves – bare arms usually take away from an executive headshot
- Bring a variety of dress shirts, suits, and professional blouses
Choosing the right colors
It’s a general rule of thumb with any headshot that brighter colors express youth and darker colors express maturity. Keep this in mind when considering the image that will represent your professional persona. Factor in your skin tone as well. If you have a lighter skin tone, avoid lighter colors that could make you appear washed out. If you have medium or darker skin tones, stay away from earthy tones that may be similar to your skin color.
And of course, make sure to choose colors that you love and that look good on you. If you don’t know what those colors are, consider a hue that brings out the color in your eyes. If you’re still struggling, that’s what options are for! Bring at least 4 different outfits and I’ll help you find the most flattering one for you. Give me a call at 214-394-1384 today to book your headshot or executive portrait!